Saturday 30 January 2016

Being positive can occasionally backfire

I have learned from experience that our inner state often determines our experiences, so we can definitely change our lives for the better on the outside by first changing ourselves for the better on the inside.

I have given examples of how we can be our own worst enemies and distress signals can attract predators.

We benefit from being calm and positive; good feelings often boost our immune systems and act as a protection - except when it all backfires, as happened to me recently although in a very small way.

I went to collect something that I had ordered and paid for online. I had visited this store many times in the past, and always found the service fast and good, even at Christmas.

On this occasion, I stood at the collection desk and waited and waited for someone to come. I got the impression that I was being overlooked deliberately.  I could see that the place was busy. Many people were waiting to order and pay at the other desks; I guessed that taking more money takes priority over dealing with people who have already paid.

I reminded myself that it was warm inside and that I was not in a hurry. I knew it was important not to sound angry or self-pitying, so when someone eventually came to help, instead of saying anything about being ignored I just said calmly and pleasantly that I had been wondering whether I had gone invisible as no one had come for a long time.

The assistant, a young man, immediately said, “That’s because you look so contented”!

I was stunned, but it made sense. They probably learn to recognise the sort of people who will get angry and make scenes or go online and post complaints and bad reviews.

I have learned to save it for the big one and not get upset by minor inconveniences; I was pleased to get such positive feedback for my attempts to improve my inner state.

I found a very interesting statement about contentment in a book by a writer who is mostly forgotten now, but who is a great person of interest to me:

“I have seen the world; I have travelled far, and have met many famous men and women, kings and queens, senators, poets and philosophers, my experience has been wide and varied, so that I am not altogether without authority for what I say, and I assure you that the Satan of whom you are able to speak with compassion, can never trouble the peace of a pure and contented soul. 

Like consorts with like, a fallen angel seeks the equally fallen, and the devil, if there be one, becomes the companion of those only who take pleasure in his teaching and society. Legends say he is afraid of a crucifix, but if he is afraid of anything I should say it must be of that 'sweet content' concerning which your country's Shakespeare sings, and which is a better defence against evil than the church or the prayers of the clergy!“

From The Sorrows of Satan by Marie Corelli

This makes sense, and may be true in many cases, but it too can backfire as Satan may see such contented people as a challenge; there may be greater credit, more job satisfaction and a better return on investment in sabotaging their lives and luring or tormenting them over to the dark side than is the case with the easy marks and lawful prey. Where is the sense of achievement in preaching to the converted?

The Sorrows of Satan is one of the best of Marie Corelli's many occult-themed novels: