Wednesday 6 July 2016

The life of Ayn Rand: some more familiar features

Barbara Branden’s biography The Passion of Ayn Rand provided the source material for the article about some familiar features from

There are many more examples of characteristics, viewpoints and experiences that Ayn Rand shares with other people, including me, to be found in this book.

Some more basic elements of Ayn Rand’s personality
There is little evidence that Ayn Rand possessed a sense of humour. She may not have had much common sense either. This is very reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor’s character Angel.

She needed to control others.

She could be selfish and thoughtless, for example when she uprooted her husband from a life he loved and that suited him perfectly because she wanted to move to New York. This is very like what Angel did to her mother.

Just like Angel, Ayn Rand lacked introspection and showed no humility.

Ayn Rand considered herself to be the supreme authority on what had worth and what did not and what was right and what was wrong; she judged people by her own standards and was contemptuous and intolerant of and dismissive towards people who didn’t make the grade.

Where she saw no unusual intelligence – nor the capacity for dedicated productive work that she believed to be its consequence – she saw no value.

She had little understanding of family ties, emotional connections and people’s feelings. Very few people mattered to her in a personal way. To the end of her life, she dismissed anyone who had a deep need for the company of other people as being essentially without value.

Ayn Rand was passionately anti mysticism and pro reason.


Some more shared attributes and elements
There are some fundamental differences between Ayn Rand and me. Her intellectual capacities and achievements are far above mine for a start.

I am very interested in metaphysical subjects. I believe that there is a supernatural dimension to human affairs. I like magic and mystery. I like to think that both sides of my brain are equally developed.

While I too value intelligence, learning and rationality above all else, I try to be understanding and accepting of people who are very different from me; I can see that they are often far ahead of me in other, more practical, areas of life.

Personal qualities such as kindness, compassion and emotional intelligence, qualities that Ayn Rand would have despised and considered insignificant or a sign of weakness, have great value to the world too.

Ignoring and suppressing feelings and intuition is very damaging.

I do however share other characteristics and experiences – and deficiencies - with Ayn Rand.

When she was young, inventing stories and writing came to her with great ease: it was not work, it was pure, ecstatic pleasure.

Writing, research, making connections and generating original ideas have always been very enjoyable for me and not like work at all.

When she read a story for the first time, one that permanently imprinted itself on her mind and that changed her life for ever, time stood still; I know the feeling: it is like a magic spell. Time stops; life stops. Nothing is ever the same again.

Her writing style was precise and dry; mine is too.

Ayn Rand found logic fascinating when she first encountered it as a child; so did I.

She became an atheist and rejected faith because, “It doesn’t make sense to me”. I often use this expression; as I wrote in another article, it is a typical response of Myers-Briggs INTJ people.

She concentrated on her work and pursuit of her goals with a single-minded intensity; I did too.

As a child, she bitterly resented and despised the demands that family, school and life in general made on her; I always hated anything and anyone that stood between me and my reading – I still feel like that sometimes. Tearing myself away from researching to deal with the demands of the real world is like pulling Velcro. 

Ayn Rand couldn’t cope with the unexpected; I don’t always deal well with things that are suddenly sprung on me either. This trait, being unable to switch and change gears at very short notice, is common in witches and witch-like people and those who live primarily in their minds, in inner worlds and other dimensions.

She did not enjoy a celebration surprise party that was arranged for her: she became angry and said, “I do not approve of surprises.” I would have felt the same way, although I would have tried to hide it. I see being inflexible in this way as a deficiency that is my duty to work on. I am learning to go with the flow – to a certain extent.

She couldn’t deal well with the real world. A description of her cooking a meal could be an exact description of me. Barbara Branden tells us that Ayn “projected an excruciating physical and emotional tension.” Ayn herself said of this, “It’s because my mind is never really on working in the kitchen. It’s because I can’t fully focus on most of the necessities of daily life. So I have to be extra conscientious.”  I could have written this myself; I deal with domestic things with the back of my mind, under protest; I have to concentrate very hard to counteract the inclination to think of other, more interesting things.

She made lists to work from, even for things she had done many times before; so do I.

Barbara Branden tells us that Ayn Rand’s concentration on her work and abstract issues was so absolute and all-absorbing that it left her no mental space for anything else. This concentration – and the pain – were indications of her alienation from the physical world and her sense of helplessness and fear in dealing with it. This is spot on.

I know from experience that it is possible to learn to deal with the real world in a basic way, almost at a level attainable by the average person, but it will be painful and time-consuming and will divert resources from creative activities.

There is a lot more material of interest in this book, enough to inspire a further article.

In the meantime, here is an incident that Ayn Rand never forgot and that seems very striking to me:

Red, black and white
At the age of 12, Ayn Rand looked down from her balcony at a funeral procession - there had been an incident in which many people had been shot. She saw an open coffin containing the body of a beautiful young woman with a white face and black hair lying on a scarlet pillow.

This image makes me think of Snow White, asleep in her glass coffin. Was it symbolic? Was part of Ayn Rand asleep, under the spell of an evil witch?


                                Ayn Rand