Tuesday 3 April 2018

Dealing with cult members: some beneficial by-products

Some of the warnings I have been giving about what to expect when dealing with cult members and cult-like organisations apply to and can be useful for dealing with other, often very different, people and organisations.

There may not be a cult in the case, but some people speak and behave in similar ways to cult members.

For example, I have recently encountered some very familiar elements while engaged in a war with my local council:

Lying and hypocrisy, cover stories, tricking people, treating people as if they were theirs to command, denying allegations, dismissing complaints, ignoring people’s views and points they make, inviting people to meetings under false pretences, harassing people, talking like script-ridden robots, leaving people stranded ... I have seen it all before: same game, different players!

It was devastating the first time around, but the work I did afterwards has definitely helped me to cope better with the current, potentially devastating, situation.

Understanding what I am up against and knowing what to expect has helped me to stay on top of things and even get ahead of the game.

How learning from the past can help us to deal with the present
While trying to understand what was going on, I learned many new and useful concepts, and I got a lot of practice in stating my position, summarising my experiences and putting them into context. This has been useful in contributing to our case for support and planning our strategy: this time around, I am not dealing with everything on my own.

I have learned to research everything. This helps to know what we are dealing with, not to mention uncovering information that the enemy would rather we didn’t know!

I no longer trust people without good reason, so there is little danger of disillusionment and feelings of betrayal this time.

I have learned not to expect genuine communication, just inferior substitutes such as avoidance of the essential issues, spin, jargon, off-the-mark statements, slogans and propaganda.

I have learned not to let the enemy call the shots. It is very important not to follow their scripts.

I have learned to detect dirty tricks and nasty little games.

I do not take what is said at face value: I have learned to look for ulterior motives and a hidden agenda. For example:

I know that when councils say that the big projects they want to implement are intended to help people, the truth is that higher profits for the council are the main goal. For the people who work for the council, target-related bonuses and career advancement are their main motives. Despite everything they may say, the project is being done for their benefit not that of the people they are supposed to be serving.

I made a very big mistake last time around.  For many years, I blamed myself for not being able to get my ideas across to some cult members. I thought that I had not given them enough information; I thought that I had not stated my position clearly enough; I thought that they did not understand how I was feeling.  I made huge efforts to fight my corner, and it was all wasted. They didn’t want to know, or they knew very well and didn’t care. I was up against a brick wall.

I learned from this experience. I realised right from the start that it is the same with my local council. They know the score very well, but are carrying on regardless. They don’t care what effect their actions are having. They don’t listen.

I am not so easily fooled, manipulated or intimidated these days, which is fortunate as there is a lot at stake at the moment.

All the above is a by-product of my attempts to clear up some of the unfinished business I had with cult members.

I found some independent confirmation of how learning from painful experiences in the past can help people cope with problems in the present in Daughter of Narcissus, by Lady Colin Campbell. She said something to the effect that her mother’s manipulative little games prepared her for dealing with similar people later in her life, enemies and their lawyers for example.

History repeats itself
A recent incident has reminded me of two things that happened many years ago. Some of the similarities are uncanny.

The first historic incident was a big walkout of people who had been called to a gathering on false pretences. As soon as they realised that it was actually for political propaganda purposes, they got up and left. I was glad when I heard about this: I thought it served the organisers right for lying!

The second happened a few months later, at a very low point in my life. I was in a very bad state indeed at the time.

It was Christmas. Someone phoned to say that she was coming round with something for me; I said that it was not a good time and I was not able to see her. She repeated that she was coming to visit me, so I just said, “Please don’t come. I’m too ill to see you.” and put the phone down.

A while later she phoned to say that she was on her way. I said that I couldn’t see her. I kept saying that until she eventually rang off. I heard no more from her that day, but she complained to other people that I had behaved badly towards her. One of them mentioned it to me. I replied, “I did not ask her to come and visit me; I asked her not to come. It is very bad manners to invite yourself to someone’s home and refuse to listen when they say it is not a good time.”

I pointed out that if she still drove to my area even though I had asked her not to visit me, it was her problem not mine. Considering the state I was in, it was amazing that I could defend myself successfully in that way. When I eventually received her present, it was just a small thing that did not need a special delivery.

Incidentally, I realised later that this was a good example of cult members thinking that non-members are theirs to command.

I was reminded of these incidents few weeks ago when the council arranged a meeting with us with no prior consultation. We asked for it to be cancelled, and for several good reasons. Some were procedural, but the main one was that we were not interested in hearing about some offers they were going to make.

They ignored our requests for cancellation with supporting case; they bulldozed ahead and behaved as if we were theirs to command, sending out some background paperwork that was irrelevant and of no interest to us. They said they had some good news for us.

As the meeting was to be held close to where we live, we decided to attend and tell them in person that we had no interest in their presentation.

We found that, just like the present mentioned above, the ‘good news’ was not much good to us and not worth making all the arrangements and putting on the pressure for. At a pre-arranged signal, we all got up and walked out. It was amusing to see their stupefaction!

I remembered my defence last time, and refused to accept any blame when the bueaucrats played the emotional blackmail game. As we said later when they complained about our behaviour, we did not ask for this meeting to be held: we asked for it not to be held. If they went to the trouble of arranging a presentation for nothing and had to make extra journeys, this was their problem not ours. They should have listened to what we said and respected our wishes.

Last time, it was just me and the issues were personal and political; this time, I was one of a group of people and the issues were bureaucratic and financial.

Last time, I felt harassed, persecuted even, when the cult member ignored what I said and insisted on coming over; this time, I wasn’t affected by the pressure to obey orders and come to the meeting.

Deciding on ways to show them that we are not theirs to command was great fun.

I am sure that I will be re-cycling much more of my hard-earned knowledge in the coming months.