Wednesday 17 October 2018

More minor misfortunes and an unexpected ending

Accounts of bad days, bad decisions and strings of minor misfortunes appear in several previous articles.

There is a little more of the same to report, including a very recent nightmare journey that had an unexpected but very welcome ending.

More electrical malfunctions
Tills have recently behaved strangely when it was my turn to pay. Although they worked for the customer immediately in front of me, one went crazy and had to be reset and the other refused to function at all so the girl on it had to move to another station.

It is interesting that Joyce Collin-Smith says that her friend, the one who could make events turn out to good advantage for herself and her circle, caused problems with electrical apparatus.

Some minor disappointments
It is quite a while since I have had what I think of as a good day. Most of the misfortunes are too petty to report, but a long string of tiny setbacks makes me feel that I am living under a cloud.

On several occasions I have made special a trip to a particular shop I remembered only to find that it had closed down.  I took some unwanted items to my favourite charity shop only to find that they were not accepting donations on that day.

These things have their funny side: I remembered seeing a stall in an indoor shopping centre where they repair watches, so took mine there to have a new battery put in. The watch repair man said he wouldn't do it because it would involve taking the back off and unscrewing things!

These are all very trivial problems; things could be and have been much worse. Not only that: a bad day had a good ending.


Unexpected assistance
I made some bad decisions a few days ago.

I decided to visit a shopping area I like. I saw some notices about bus diversions because of a sporting event but assumed, wrongly, that this would just mean a minor change of route.

It was also a mistake to go there at the busiest time of the week. I did not enjoy my visit, all the more as I found that many of the independent shops I favour had closed down.

My journey back was disrupted because the buses were terminating their journeys prematurely. I didn’t know this at the time, but demonstrators were causing extra problems with their march and many roads were closed off. I managed to get quite close to home by taking three different buses, but then I had to walk. It was very tiring and I soon reached the end of my resources.

I eventually arrived at my block, only to find a group of men sitting on the steps. This was all I needed! 

I know that distress signals attract predators and I was afraid that there might be trouble. I thought that they might be angry at having to make way for me, or even try to push in through the door behind me. This is not paranoia: we have been having a lot of trouble with unpleasant people and intruders recently.

I then noticed that although they looked quite tough, they didn’t look very alarming. They were all young and quite respectable looking. Better yet, the exact opposite of what I had feared happened: they apologised for being in my way, and one of them helped me get my shopping up the steep steps and manouevre it through the front door, which he carefully closed behind me. I let them know how very grateful I was for this help. 

After having a reviving cup of tea, I went online to investigate the travel problems and learned that young far-right extremists who clashed with the police and their opponents were responsible for much of the disruption to the bus services. Perhaps those helpful young men had been involved in the violent protests!

Cause and effect
Inner states are often responsible for outer events. Our old friend the Maharishi Yogi maintained that meditation could change outer circumstances for the better.

I am sure that the string of minor misfortunes and lack of good days I have been experiencing for many months is a result of the chronic stress and depression caused by my ongoing battle with the bureaucrats in the local council.

Having been in the company of energy vampires is another possible cause of various kinds of trouble. They can have a blighting and sabotaging effect on vulnerable people’s affairs, and it is not always possible to avoid them.

I attribute the very recent bad decisions to not feeling well after having just been to another meeting with my neighbours in connection with the above-mentioned battle. Although these meetings are very draining and there is a lot of bad energy around, I have to go as confidential matters not suitable for emails are discussed.

So why the good ending?
These explanations make sense, but not when we come to the unexpected help. My overloaded state made me vulnerable; surely I should have attracted and been attacked by unpleasant people!


Perhaps a good memory that suddenly came into my mind influenced external events and protected me.

As I was getting near to my block, I was thinking of a previous occasion when I returned from that same shopping area. I brought something very heavy back with me to avoid paying a delivery charge. It was a bad decision. I took on too much; I became exhausted. However, people were very helpful on the journey home, and as I arrived at my block someone came out at exactly the right time to help me and hold the door open. I had been feeling delighted with my wonderful bargain on the journey home. Perhaps my good feelings attracted help and protected me from predators.

Perhaps it was this good memory and my gratitude for the assistance after the first difficult journey home brought - or bought - me some more of the same just when I needed it.

More misfortunes to come?
The battle with the local council will continue for some time; I will have to go to more meetings with people I would normally avoid; there will be much more stress and uncertainty, bad feeling and negativity to endure.

At least I have a good idea of what to expect in the way of small misfortunes, and I will try to avoid making more bad decisions.

I am trying very hard to earn more assistance and protection too. One way of doing this is to publish accounts of my ideas and experiences in the hope that they will be of use to others who have had similar experiences.