Sunday 12 April 2015

Speaking about unseen influences: be selective and be careful

I remember reading a long time ago something to the effect that if you start to speak from your heart, in your own voice and your own words, one of two things will happen: some people will vanish from your life and some will change and join you on your new level. 

The first group will feel uncomfortable because you have departed from their scripts, stopped playing their silly games and are no longer enabling and reinforcing their programs; the others will enjoy interacting with an authentic human being, someone who sets a good example, someone who brings out the best in them as opposed to dragging them down and forcing them to act out various scenarios. 

I would say that this is true up to a point, particularly where speaking about everyday topics is concerned. Like attracts like and people find levels where they feel comfortable. It is beneficial to talk to someone whose conversation is positive, direct and nourishing as opposed to being defeatist, confusing and equivalent to junk food; it is enjoyable to talk to someone whose conversation is interesting, informative and helpful as opposed to being predictable like a tape recording and full of useless generalisations and platitudes. 

Speaking about anything related to unseen influences is another matter. 

In my experience, the majority of people will react as if nothing, or nothing interesting or important, has been said or as if a foreign language has been spoken; some will quickly change the subject; a few will vanish as if threatened; a few will seem disconcerted, ‘thrown’ and confused; a few will viciously attack and a very few will step forward and say, “Tell me more”.


Choose your audience carefully
Anyone who wants to talk about unseen influences in person - putting ideas and experiences online may well be the best and safest option -  needs to be aware of and understand the reasons for the different types of reaction, and thus be selective when deciding which people to talk to, what to talk about, when to talk about it and at what level. This also applies to controversial topics in general.

People who do not react or respond when topics related to unseen influences are raised may just not be interested in such matters or destined to deal with them in their lives; they may not understand the significance or have experience of the issues involved; they may not have the radar, or lack of insulation and grounding, that enables the detection of subtle energies themselves so cannot believe that such things exist; they may sense that they are approaching deep water and dangerous areas that they are not equipped to deal with, feel uncomfortable so back off or quickly start talking about something else. 

The people who vanish may run like hell because they feel threatened by what they hear. They may be outraged because what they consider to be offensive language has been used. They may be defending the first domino, fearing that their whole world view might collapse if they listened to any more.

I remember experiencing this reaction one day at work a long time ago. A colleague asked me how I was; I replied that I felt completely drained, as though an energy vampire had sucked the life out of me. Another colleague, who had been standing right behind me although I did not realise she was there until after I said it, resigned very shortly afterwards. She was someone I had instinctively avoided. I did not make a possible connection until much later.

People who appear disconcerted may do so when something has not gone according to plan. They are derailed by the unexpected. I have experienced this too. Someone at work came round ‘collecting’, not money for a card and present for someone with a birthday or new job for once but something more subtle: she wanted to stir up trouble and raise a quota of resentment by informing one group that the other team were getting pay rises and bonuses. We were expected to get angry and say how unfair this was. 

I just said what immediately came to mind. I replied thoughtfully that what I needed most was a pay rise in coping ability, patience and emotional strength: not strictly unseen influences, but a reference to the inner world and a declaration of values. She seemed confounded. She behaved like an actor whose fellow performer had departed from the script and not given the expected cues; she completely lost the plot and appeared disoriented; she resigned shortly afterwards. She too was someone I was wary of, and once again I did not make a possible connection until much later.

People who attack when unseen influences - or any unwelcome and forbidden topics - are mentioned may feel threatened or angered by what has been said, either personally or on behalf of a group or cult. Some of them behave as if they are entitled or compelled to enforce some unwritten rules and punish anyone who breaks them. They operate a scorched earth policy against anything and anyone who endangers the status quo. They try to nip dissention and awakening doubts in the bud. This is the attack-dog syndrome.

Some of the worst cases are people who are part of a cult-like organisation: they appear to have the force of an entire group mind behind them when they lash out, verbally or unconsciously, and this can really hurt. I remember feeling shaky and tearful after I had asked such a person a few questions about a political matter; it took a few days before I recovered. I realised that I had triggered something dangerous by mentioning the unmentionable. 

Such people cannot be reasoned with and it is dangerous to confront them; it is best to avoid them where possible, and bear in mind that anyone who could successfully tackle them would probably never need or get the opportunity to do so: the attackers would sense this and be the ones doing the avoiding.

As for the rare person who wants to hear more, I attracted someone like that when I first used the expression ‘energy vampire’. He gave me some very useful information and some good examples of ‘psychological black magic’ from his family history. It was wonderful to have a like-minded person I could discuss the gifts the universe was giving us and the synchronicities in our lives with. 

Unfortunately this relationship came to an abrupt end. He married someone who was the sort of person I would avoid. I said something about how our early life can give us blind spots concerning certain people, and that was the last time I saw either of them. She stopped him from seeing a counsellor too: she probably felt threatened by insights that might help him to see more clearly. 

I knew someone else who was very interested in the idea that expressing gratitude and appreciation for what you already have is the way to get even better things. We had long discussions about coincidences. Many positive synchronicities were involved. This too ended when I asked a few unwelcome questions and made some critical remarks about the political organisation of which she was a member.
  
It was their loss as much as it was mine. I have the internet now.

Present your ideas carefully
In my opinion, it is very low-class to present unqualified speculation, beliefs, opinions and indoctrination material as established fact; in my opinion, better people know the difference between possibilities, probabilities and certainties. 

A good way to get important information past the ‘watchful dragons’ that C. S. Lewis speaks of is to do it subtly. For example, rather than state conclusively that a particular person didn’t die in an accident but was murdered, I would just mention some article I had read that had raised many questions and made me doubt the official version of events. 

Rather than try to convert people to my viewpoint, I would just describe my own experiences with and ideas about unseen influences, and refer people to useful and interesting sources of information.

Although many people do not take intuition into account and are too insulated to be aware of subtle energies, they may be good at processing facts and figures when these are presented objectively and left to speak for themselves.

It is essential to be aware of motives and goals when speaking directly to people: the best and safest approach is to do it for the sake of the cause or the other person, not in the hopes of getting something for oneself. The speaker needs to take responsibility where appropriate if the results are not as expected.

For example, rather than complain about casting pearls before swine when no one is interested in discussing some topic that fascinates me, or feel disappointed when the hoped-for understanding, recognition, admiration or assistance is not forthcoming, I should blame myself for making an unsuitable selection of potential audience, or for having unrealistic and inappropriate expectations.

The speaker needs to take the Dunning-Kruger effect and standard distribution into account and not try to get something from someone who hasn’t got it to give. 

Action and reaction
Never forget that people who speak about unseen influences and expose their workings are the equivalent of whistle-blowers. Be prepared for some unpleasant consequences, some of which may have long-term or permanently damaging effects. 

The loss of friendships may be survived and direct attacks by individuals may be recovered from. I overcame being treated as crazy, stupid, a criminal and a traitor, because I had the courage of my convictions. 

Something may strike back and sabotage the life of someone who starts to speak about unseen influences, bringing disaster in such forms as a serious illness or long-term unemployment down upon the speaker. 

A more subtle attack may be in the form of a seemingly ideal new person who suddenly appears, causing a big distraction and diversion of resources, only to vanish leaving the devastated victim wondering what hit them. It may not be possible to continue investigating unseen influences while all this is going on, which could well be the intention behind it. 

I have experienced all that. What helped me to endure and overcome it was the gradual understanding of what I was up against – which would not have been possible without information from the Internet - and a determination not to let the enemy win.