Sunday 9 September 2018

Objective and subjective approaches to research

When I want to learn about an important new topic, I do a lot of research before making any decisions, deductions or evaluations.

I start by collecting, collating, analysing, interpreting and summarising facts and figures.

My system for dealing with the basics is to read several different accounts and concentrate mainly on what they all have in common. This ensures that I don’t get a false, biased, misleading, exaggerated or incomplete picture. When the articles all give the same information - independently as opposed to quoting from the same unverified source - it is likely to be correct.

I also choose a variety of sources because seeing the same information presented in different ways and words helps me to understand and retain it.

This phase is primarily a learning exercise.

Once I have grasped the essentials, I go into the subject in more detail. I also take a more random, subjective approach. I look for different viewpoints and examples of personal experience. Where relevant, I read reviews.

When a variety of people all independently report the same personal experiences  - as opposed to repeating what they have heard or read of other people’s - they are likely to be true, all the more if they are the same as mine!

This phase is primarily an evaluation exercise.

For both phases, critical thinking skills and a good memory are very useful attributes. Making good notes will help a lot too.  

Information and experience selection
I am often spoilt for choice when it comes to articles and explanations that are primarily informational. In such cases, I select the best. I read only the well-written, high-quality specimens where I like the format, style and wording.

I can afford to ignore websites where the layout and colour schemes are not to my taste.

Conversely, when it comes to personal accounts, valuable, inspirational and original information and independent confirmation compensate for any deficiencies in the presentation and writing, which anyway may come from people whose first language isn’t English. I overlook a lot of imperfections if the content is useful.

Transferable techniques
This system worked very well for me when I was investigating tax-related issues, procedures for objecting to applications for planning permission and technologies such as mobile broadband and HD TV.

It may also be suitable for people who want to learn something about cults and cult leaders.