Saturday 15 December 2018

A tale of two foxes

I described some amazing coincidences and synchronous events in my life a while back in this article.

One incident involved a magazine with a picture of a fox cub; now I can add an anecdote involving two adult foxes.

I have only ever seen live foxes on two occasions, and in both cases unseen influences appear to have been at work.

The first encounter happened many years ago, shortly after I saw a beautiful fox in a TV advertisement - for whisky if I remember correctly - and realised that I had never seen a fox in real life, apart from a dead one by the side of the road which was probably left there by a motorist who had hit and killed it.

I used to take my washing to a launderette on a busy main road and go for local walkabouts while the wash was in progress. I favoured a circular route for which the timing was perfect. It took in a public garden and some interesting buildings and back streets.

On this occasion, I was walking through a narrow alleyway past a church when I saw a big fox in the garden outside the church. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. The fox came very close to me although he wouldn’t let me touch him, so I was able to get a very good look at him. He was a very good specimen, although obviously not perfectly groomed like the tame fox in the advertisement. I stayed with him for a long time, until he suddenly got moving and jumped on top of a fence then down into another garden.

The second incident happened a few days ago, shortly after I had been thinking about the first incident. I went out with the intention of shopping very locally, but suddenly changed my mind and went on a long bus ride to a shop I favour. I intended to go straight into the shop, but suddenly changed my mind and went for a short walk in a public garden instead.

I was amazed to see a big fox there; he was busy burying some bones and scraps of food, oblivious to the nearby heavy traffic and the passers-by.  I watched him for a long time before he decided to move on.

Clues to causes
When something unpleasant happens, I have learned to go through the list of usual suspects and work backwards to the cause. I may have been in contact with an energy vampire or had a jarring shock for example.

It is the same with unusual but welcome incidents such as the fox encounters. I look for features such as wishing for something, thinking about a similar incident from the past and following inner promptings.

Seeing something interesting on TV and reacting automatically from a deep level is an element in many anecdotes involving synchronicity, coincidences and good timing, as is thinking about previous events and acting on inclinations to go somewhere.

Sometimes I feel paranoid because I think that the unpleasant incidents are arranged by evil forces to sabotage my life.

Sometimes I get feelings of positive paranoia because I think that something benevolent is arranging incidents for my benefit.

Maybe it is just all a meaningless coincidence.

A fox on a fence: