Sunday 30 December 2018

Unseen influences at Canary Wharf

I went to Canary Wharf on the Isle of Dogs recently for a seasonal get-together with a former workmate.  I arranged for us to meet outside the tall obelisk One Canada Square, also known as the Canary Wharf Tower.

Things started badly; I became very confused and disoriented after coming out of Canary Wharf station by the wrong exit. I waited outside the wrong building for a while. I had to send texts and find another meeting place, a big store that we could both see from where we were standing.

Now I know that many people have problems finding their way around the area, especially when visiting it for the first time. They rightly say that the signposting is inadequate and the multiplicity of levels and station exits makes navigation difficult.

The tall corporate buildings and their huge entrance halls with all the plate glass and marble look much the same at ground level, which doesn’t help either.

Although I have been to Canary Wharf several times, I always have trouble finding my way around - even with a map. It is as if something inside me is reset and I go back to square one each time I go there: previous visits have done nothing to familiarise me with the area. My inner compass often goes haywire; I set off in the wrong direction and sometimes get so lost that it takes a while to get back on track.
I have actually been to the Tower a few times - I have even gone inside to visit someone and seen the amazing view from one of the upper floors - so I should have been able to find it again very easily.

The time of year may have been a factor, yet I have had problems navigating the area even when not affected by seasonal depression.

There must be a huge concentration of WiFi in the area, and I am strongly affected in a bad way by such things. I can’t work in modern offices, and I am not alone:

Prince Charles said of the Canary Wharf Tower on national television, "I personally would go mad if I had to work in a place like that".

The whole area is soulless with very modern buildings and the same old shop and restaurant names, and that too has a negative effect.

If the obvious and rational explanations for the bad effects seem inadequate, there are some good conspiracy theories about the Tower.

Conspiracy and the Canary Wharf Tower
There is a pyramid on top of the Tower. Some people believe this is a sign that the skyscraper is owned by the Illuminati, who are using it for sinister purposes!  

There is a blinking light on the top - to stop aeroplanes crashing into it; sometimes the light is red, sometimes white. Some people see it as a winking eye and are reminded of the Dark Tower in the Lord of the Rings.

Maybe the pyramid beams out scrambling signals that cause me to lose my sense of direction; being even more susceptible than usual when my resistance is low would explain the recent confusion.

The combination of an obelisk and a nearby dome is of interest to many conspiracy investigators. The Canary Wharf Tower is paired with the O2 dome in nearby Greenwich, where we find the 0 degrees longitude meridian, and they are connected by a tunnel for tube trains under the Thames.

Canary Wharf and the future
One option is to avoid the area as much as possible in future.

Another option is to spend a lot of time there, make my own navigational notes, get really accustomed to the area and attempt to learn once and for all how to find my way around.

A compromise is to go there for a special event or two.

The Winter Light Festival is being held in January. The whole of Canary Wharf and surrounding areas will be illuminated. One installation is called Angels of Freedom, which sounds promising.

Darkness is an extra obstacle - it might seem like asking for trouble to go there in the evening - but I should be able to see much of the show and the layout of the area from the top of a bus. If I do walk around, I should be safe from getting lost again if I keep the bus stops in sight.

I will definitely go if the weather is fine. I hope that the light show is just entertainment and not part of some evil Illuminati ritual!

The Canary Wharf Tower by day and illumined at night:





The O2 Dome with the Canary Wharf Tower in the background: