Monday 26 August 2013

Unseen influences: sugar and factory food are our enemies

Dick Sutphen in his book Unseen Influences lists sugar and the cumulative effects of food additives such as artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives among the unseen influences that adversely affect our lives. 

I strongly agree with him: cutting down on these things has resulted in an improvement in the way I feel. 

I was made addicted to sweets from an early age: I was not always given enough food, and what I got was mostly not very nutritious, but I was always given plenty of sweets. 

Without realising it, I suffered from low blood sugar for much of my life. 

It is interesting that the astrologer and esoteric philosopher Dr Douglas Baker said something about low blood sugar being an occupational hazard for people who are involved with esoteric subjects.

I have a vague memory of reading something about some people who contacted the spirit world via an Ouija board and were told by discarnate entities to eat a lot of sugar. This sounds sinister; it would lower people’s resistance and make them more open to malign influences.

A time came when I tried to improve my health. I lived for a while on plain, mostly unprocessed, food, partly in an attempt to simplify my life and partly to save money. 

Becoming intolerant
I remember an anecdote by someone who at one time could eat as many as twenty doughnuts at once. She started reading New Age books and trying to make herself into a better and healthier person.  She soon found that eating just two doughnuts brought her to the same queasy and bloated state as the twenty had before she started the improvement exercise. 

Just reading about new concepts was enough to greatly increase her intolerance for unhealthy food; this too is my own experience. 

Certain food items tasted very different after the plain food exercise, and not in a good way. For example, I used a sachet of tomato sauce that was in my store and was amazed at how unpleasantly sweet it tasted.  I bought a carton of a type of soup that I used to add salt to as I found it rather bland; this time around I found it very salty so had no need to add any more. 

Someone who is clean, healthy and aware is like a guinea-pig or a canary down a mine; their reactions to various foods are a good indicator of the value or otherwise to us of those foods.

This can be applied to their reactions to people too!

Two bad experiences 
I was on a short break when I did something I had decided I would never do again: eat cheap take-away food. I had an hour to kill before catching my coach home and decided that as it was going to be a long journey, I should have some hot food. I went to a vegetarian café that I knew about, but it was closed. I wandered around looking without any success for somewhere suitable that was not too expensive. I eventually decided to lower my standards and go to a burger café I found – an independent one, not a popular chain.

They had a good ‘meal deal’, so I chose a veggie burger, chips and a free drink. The drink was orange juice; it was very good quality, not too sweet and full of bits of real oranges. The other things were not like real food; I did not enjoy eating them at all and I felt ill afterwards.  

I have had a few similar experiences while eating out. The better the quality of the food that I eat at home, the less I can tolerate cheap processed food such as ready meals and snack food. 

I once had a lapse and bought a bag of traditional boiled sweets to celebrate finding the new Harry Potter book at the cheapest possible price. I settled down happily with the book and the bag of sweets, and started to devour both of them. 

The colourings and flavourings were artificial, and I felt terrible after eating a handful or two. I got dizziness and pains in my chest.  I suppose that I never noticed the adverse effects of excessive sweet eating much earlier in my life because I always felt bad - from many causes – and had never been in a healthy state.

Another point about sweets is that they often ruin people’s appetites, so less nourishing food is eaten.

Why eat junk food?
Rudyard Kipling said, “Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?”  

I used to believe that people ate very poor quality food only because they had never experienced anything better so had no means of comparison, but I now suspect that some of them are so addicted and collective-minded that they actually prefer it. 

The food that they eat compounds the problem: it makes them unhealthy; it has a bad effect on their memories; it damages their ability to think clearly and make good decisions.

The question to ask here is who or what benefits?

I remember reading about someone who had high standards about what she ate. She was very much against America’s involvement in Vietnam. One day she slid back, abandoned her principles and bought a burger from a popular chain. She said that after eating it, the US’s foreign policy no longer seemed important. The implications of this are frightening.

The diet for the mind
Incidentally, it is not only junk food that I can’t tolerate: the more my knowledge and understanding of unseen influences grows and the better my mental diet and inner state become, the less I can tolerate most modern entertainment and entertainers, TV programs and conversations about celebrities.  

Most advertisements make me feel as sick as that burger meal did. I usually switch the sound off during the breaks when I am listening to the radio or watching TV so I don’t have to listen to false, unpleasant voices and meaningless drivel. 

I have always been like this to some extent, but my dislike of much of modern culture has been increasing year by year. It seems to exist on a completely different plane from the one I live on and to be targeting and suitable for a very different type of person. 

Vitamins
There are no mental vitamins in what people say when they don’t speak from the heart, just as there may be no vitamins in much of the food that we eat. I am aware that many people say that vitamin supplements are a waste of money and that people who recommend them may be trying to sell something, but vitamin pills may be better than nothing. One poster on a forum I found said that he always perks up after taking vitamins, and that is exactly what happens to me. 

Aspartame, snackety-packety crunchy-munchy food and coca cola may be our enemies; a bowl of porridge oats each morning is our friend.  It is a better protection against some negative unseen influences than any number of protective rituals and items such as cords, talismans and crystals: good nutrition is better than superstition.

A book about the sinister side of white sugar: