Thursday 20 December 2018

Depression at Christmas

Some of what I said in the article about depression at the autumnal equinox can also be applied to the Christmas holiday season: the winter solstice too may subtly affect us. 

There are obvious additional and external factors when Christmas is involved, however there is sometimes more to it than being overwhelmed and demoralised by practical problems: evil forces may be abroad!

I realised a while back that even if there are no energy vampires, emotional blackmailers and other undesirables in our lives, we can still be influenced negatively by people in general. 

I have found that Christmas is a time when this is particularly noticeable. There is a lot of stress, tension, misery and general bad energy in the air, in the big cities at least, and some sensitive people pick it all up. 

We may be badly affected by the cumulative inner states of both the large numbers of people who are rushing around with too much to do and too little time to do it in and the many unhappy, isolated people for whom this is the worst time of year. 

Then there are the intoxicated ones, people who have been celebrating - or trying to escape - the festive season. People who are under the influence of something are often frightening and dangerous because they are out of control; they may be also be surrounded, affected or even controlled by malign entities that their inner state has attracted.

During the run up to Christmas, the streets are filled with hordes of people moving like zombies on the march. I don’t get caught up in the spending frenzy and the Christmas madness myself; I find it all alarming and incomprehensible.  

I do usually go out to see the best Christmas lights and shop windows, but I try to go at relatively quiet times.

I have often felt a very strange atmosphere in the streets on Christmas Eve once darkness has fallen, so much so that I now stay in on that day or at least make sure to be home early if I do go out. 

A previous article that touches on the subject of depression at Christmas mentions some black magic connections; perhaps the evil that is abroad on Christmas Eve is responsible for the weird atmosphere.

Being affected for the worse by the general atmosphere is not the only seasonal danger; we may feel things even more strongly than usual.  

For example, when Christmas shopping each year I feel very sad when I go back to places where I bought good presents in the past only to find that the independent shops I liked have been replaced with the same old chain stores in ugly new developments.

Worst of all are the memories of the time when I expected to have the best Christmas of my life only to have the worst one ever; they return in full strength at this time of year.

There is little to be done about all this. Feel-good platitudes don’t help. Spending time with the wrong people doesn’t help. It is best to find distractions that work and just sit it out. 

It will soon all be over for another year. 

The season does have its compensations. An inspiring window display and Christmas lights in central London: