Thursday 21 March 2019

Strindberg’s string of misfortunes: Part I

The Swedish playwright and essayist August Strindberg endured much bad luck and a long string of misfortunes, some serious, in 1896. Everything went wrong; his life became one long nightmare. It was as if he had been cursed. There were some strange events and uncanny coincidences in the case too.

I first learned about this episode in Strindberg’s life from The Occult by Colin Wilson, who got his information from Strindberg’s autobiographical novel Inferno. This bizarre book, which can be found on Project Gutenberg, is based on the diary that Strindberg kept at the time. 

Strindberg believed that he had brought all his troubles on himself and attracted evil influences into his life by deliberately using his special powers in an attempt to practise psychological black magic.

There is much material of interest and some familiar features in this case. It will take more than one article to summarise even the most relevant and significant details of the nightmare episode, provide a commentary and make some connections.

We begin with some information about when and why the trouble started.

An obvious starting point
As described in many articles, there have been occasions in my life when, after going for days, weeks, months, even years without anything unusual to report, I suddenly experience a string of minor misfortunes. There is an obvious starting point to the incidents; they stand out in comparison with the preceding uneventful days.

It seems to me very significant that Strindberg was going through a good patch in his life just before it all went wrong. In his own words:

The summer and autumn of the year 1895 I count, on the whole, among the happiest stages of my eventful life. All my attempts succeed; unknown friends bring me food as the ravens did to Elijah. Money flows in; I can buy books and scientific instruments...”

Then he did something that caused it all to go into reverse. There is an obvious starting point to his misfortunes, which stand out in comparison with his prior easy existence.


An obvious cause
This blog contains many examples of minor misfortunes and unpleasant incidents that I have experienced over the years. These are not the ordinary problems and setbacks of life: they are caused by unseen influences.

When I have a bad day, I look for the cause. I can usually attribute it to one of a small number of possibilities. Bad energy or distress signals are often involved. For example, I may have been in contact with an energy vampire or had a nasty, jarring shock.

August Strindberg knew very well what caused his life to turn into a nightmare.

He was separated from his wife and child and a divorce was on the horizon. While at first he enjoyed his freedom, he began to feel lonely. He wanted to engineer a reconciliation. Rather than negotiate by letter like a normal person, he used his powers to try to influence his family remotely.

He had a ‘good idea’: if his little girl became ill, her mother would send for him:

Children are always more or less ill; a mother's fear exaggerates the danger; a telegram follows, and all is said. I had no idea of practising magic, but an unwholesome instinct suggested I must set to work with the picture of my dear little daughter…”

So he concentrated on his little girl’s photograph and wished that she would fall ill just so that he would have a pretext for getting together with his family again.

There is more to come about this evil action, but for now it is enough to say that creating such mental scenarios and performing procedures to actualise them is asking for trouble. Performing psychological black magic attracts all kinds of evil entities and surrounds the practitioners with bad energy that affects everything and everyone around them.

The troubles begin
Strindberg soon began to feel the effects of his evil action. He spoke of it in terms of punishment, Paradise Lost and The Fall:

“The fall has happened. I feel the mercilessness of the unknown powers weigh heavily upon me. The hand of the invisible is lifted and the blows fall thickly upon my head.

In the first place, my anonymous friend who has supported me hitherto, feels insulted and deserts me, because I had written him a presumptuous letter. So I am left without means.

Moreover, when I receive the proofs of my work Sylva Sylvarum, I find the text in complete confusion. Not only are the pages mixed and wrongly numbered, but the different parts are confused… After endless hesitations and delays, the pamphlet is at last printed, but when the printer sends me the bill, I find that it amounts to more than double the sum originally agreed upon. I am obliged, to my regret, to pawn my microscope, my black suit, and some remaining ornaments…”

These personal, professional and financial misfortunes were just the start of Strindberg’s troubles; his journey through Hell had only just begun.