Thursday 9 May 2019

Strindberg and his cult-pushing secret friend: Part II

The story in his autobiographical novel Inferno of August Strindberg’s relationship with his ‘secret friend’ has few original elements; much of it is depressingly familiar, even when read for the first time.

While Inferno was an unexpected place to find independent confirmation of some of my ideas about games cult members play, I was not at all surprised to find yet another example of the ‘falling for a false image and going from worship to total disillusionment syndrome’ or to see that Strindberg’s ‘friends’ usually turned into what he called false friends, faithless friends, former friends and enemies!

Feuding occultists are nothing new either.

Part I ended with the start of what Strindberg called a ‘paper war’, with Strindberg’s secret friend and benefactor revealing his true intentions and threatening to call on occult powers to force Strindberg to accept the theosophist Madame Blavatsky as his teacher.

So what did Strindberg do next?

Strindberg’s counter threat
Strindberg’s response to the threat shows that the two men deserved each other! Like really does attract like.

Strindberg replied that he would call on occult powers of his own if the secret friend tried to interfere with his destiny! As a warning, he told his secret friend about what had happened ten years earlier to a man who tried to influence him against his will. This man sounds rather like the secret friend:

This man...in spite of his display of sympathy, was not really my well-wisher. An absolute tyrant, he wanted to interfere with my destiny, to tame and subdue me, in order to show me his superiority.

Same game, different player it seems. This man received some severe, family-related blows; Strindberg suggests that he brought this trouble on himself because he played with fire when he tried to interfere in Strindberg’s life.

The secret friend did not give up easily; he was not deterred by this implied threat.


Out in the open
The secret friend showed his hand in his next communication. I have highlighted the words that reveal his true motives:

My theosophical friend, who has hitherto furnished me with the means of livelihood, tries to enrol me in his sect. He sends me one of Madame Blavatsky's occult treatises and ill conceals his anxiety that I should pronounce a favourable verdict upon it. I also am embarrassed, for I see that the continuance of our friendly relations will depend upon my answer.

Despite knowing what the consequences would be, Strindberg gave his honest opinion of Blavatsky and her works:

Madame Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine is plagiarised from all the so-called occult theories; it is a hash-up of all ancient and modern scientific heresies. Her book is worthless as regards her own presumptuous claims, interesting through its quotations from little-known authors... although I know that my answer entails a breach in our friendship, and the cessation of my means of support, I speak it out freely.

Strindberg got that last bit right. That did it! All hell broke loose.

The good angel becomes an evil demon
In the eyes of his secret friend, Strindberg had committed some unforgiveable crimes: he had criticised the cult leader, questioned the value of her doctrines and refused to join the cult. He had made it clear that he had no need of Madame Blavatsky and her teachings.

This unleashed the Attack-dog Syndrome at its worst:

Then my faithful friend turns into a demon of vengeance. He hurls an excommunication against me, threatens me with occult powers, tries to intimidate me by vulgar accusations, and storms at me like a heathenish sacrificial priest. Finally, he summons me before an occultist tribunal, and swears to me that I shall never forget the 13th of November. My situation is painful; I have lost a friend and am nearly destitute.”

Strindberg has still not realised that this man was never his friend.

So he is destitute yet again? What a surprise!

The end of the affair
The story ends with Strindberg’s account of this final outpouring of fury, this volley of threats from his secret friend. This was probably the last straw; it seems that he then broke off contact with his benefactor.

So yet another relationship bites the dust!

There is more to come about this episode in Strindberg’s life.