Friday 1 July 2022

Defence Against the Dark Arts Part XVIII: The pottery of Clarice Cliff

Art deco artist and designer Clarice Cliff (1899 – 1978) made some beautiful and original contributions to the ceramics industry. Many of her hand-painted products are now collector's pieces. 

There are many images of her work online; I have selected a few that are very typical of her style.

A tea set from her 'Bizarre' range:

A collection of plates:



A 'Bizarre' jug and bowl:

Some jazz musicians and dancers:

I particularly like both the style and the colour of some vases in her 'Inspiration' range. If I could have whatever I wanted from her collections, I would choose these:

The website www.claricecliff.com is dedicated to Clarice Cliff's life and works and is a meeting place for collectors and her admirers. Their museum is growing into the largest collection of online Clarice Cliff images in the world. Full access is for members only, but visitors can take a short tour.