Saturday 28 January 2023

Defence Against the Dark Arts Part XXII: The Art Deco buildings of London

As mentioned in many articles, I have found that reading certain selected books is one of the best ways to counteract depression and raise morale.

Visiting a green space with a lake is another good option, and so is going out to see some of London's beautiful Art Deco buildings. I really like this architectural design style, and looking at these buildings always has a positive effect. 

This article features just a few of the many Deco buildings that I have seen when out and about in London.  Some of them are on bus routes that I use frequently while others need a special trip.

It would take a whole string of pictures to do justice to and show all the angles and features of each selected building. It is best to see them in real life and use online sources just for background information, but if travelling around London is not an option there are some films on YouTube that are better than nothing.

The former Daimler care hire garage in Bloomsbury
This is one that I often walk past. It seems like an old friend. I always stop and take a long look at all the features. I love the green and white colour scheme:


Ibex House in The Minories
This is a good example of a commercial Deco building. It is included because I have worked there. I like the rounded edges very much:



The White House in Hendon
This is a wonderful example of a residential Deco building:


The Strand Building in Hackney
I liked this one so much when I first saw it from a bus that was going through the area that I went back a few times to get a closer look and see it from all sides:


St Olaf House near the south side of London Bridge
I first saw this building from a train near London Bridge Station. I always look out for it when going through the area:


The former Carreras cigarette factory in Camden
I often go past this huge, ornate, Egyptian-style building on the bus. It is very impressive indeed: 

Looking at online images of London's Art Deco buildings has made me want to go out and inspect the best specimens, many of which I have never seen. There are some spectacular Deco cinemas, tube stations, temples and blocks of flats and other buildings out there, and I hope to visit them when the weather gets warmer. 

Books about London's Art Deco buildings make good presents: