Saturday 29 April 2023

Defence Against the Dark Arts Part XXIV: Carnival glass

My first encounter with carnival glass was in London's Portobello Road street market many years ago. A stallholder told me that the name comes from a time when objects made from a special type of pressed glass with an iridescent glazing were awarded as prizes at carnivals, fetes and funfairs in the US. 

I didn't much care for the orange-coloured pieces, which are the most common variety, but thought that some of the other colours were beautiful. I started buying items of carnival glass here and there, but was never a serious collector.

I now know from looking at images online that there are far better pieces available than I ever saw. I am very happy with what I have though and don't plan to add to my collection, but  I do wish that I had bought more of this glass when prices were very much lower.

Here are some typical examples of carnival glass:

I have a jug and goblets just like these:



I have several dishes similar to this one:

Of all the varieties I have seen online, I like the green items best.

I would love to own this dish:

I wouldn't say no to this piece either:


The Carnival Glass Society
There are many books about carnival glass, and there is a lot of information and many images online. 

There is also a UK-based society for carnival glass enthusiasts, researchers and collectors. Their website is packed with pictures of beautiful pieces:

https://www.thecgs.co.uk/