Monday 9 September 2024

Fifteen years of blogging and still a little more to come

As mentioned in the article that marks the tenth anniversary of this blog, the very first post is dated September 9th 2009, the ninth day of the ninth month of the ninth year of the century.

It is worth repeating that the number nine is associated with magic and with Odin, or Woden, the seeker after knowledge and wisdom who is associated with magic and mystery and is said to inspire creativity.

Another five years have passed; today is the fifteenth anniversary of the launch of this blog, and once again it is time to take stock.

A little more about the viewing figures
In the article about the mystery of the most popular posts, I said that I monitor the blog statistics. This is just for interest's sake: I am not influenced by these figures when deciding what to write about. 

I have since seen a huge increase in the number of views for the article about Princess Margaret's death. I found that this happened just after one of the TV programmes that dramatise the royal family had featured her. People had been searching online for more information and found my article!

I was very surprised to see the first article about Madeleine L'Engle's Zachary Grey or Gray suddenly appear in the top ten list. I discovered that this is a case of mistaken identity: there are a few real-life Zachary Greys and Grays of interest!  

While it is understandable why the greatest number of views will always come from the US, it is still a mystery why this blog gets more readers from Germany than from the UK.

How many more articles will there be in the future
I have been mining the past for inspiration for many years now, and the returns have been slowly and steadily diminishing.

I have got a lot of coincidences and connections and ideas and theories about metaphysical and many other matters out of my system. 

I have remembered and recorded many encounters and incidents relevant to the themes of this blog.

I have paid tribute to many writers and artists whose works I first encountered in childhood or soon after. 

I have also produced many articles inspired by people of interest and books that I read for the first time in more recent years.

In the past, a book or a person sometimes inspired many articles in a very short period of time. Elizabeth Goudge's Linnets and Valerians is one example of this; Benjamin Disraeli is another. This is not too likely to happen in the future.

There may not be much more to say about previously hot topics such as witches, cults, public libraries, psychological black magic and energy vampires either.

I have a list of ideas for new articles and the inclination to work on them; producing them will probably take me well into next year, all the more as I will be reducing the monthly target from three to two posts.  

I intend to be more reactive and less proactive when it comes to finding article-inspiring material after these impending articles are finished.

So, when it comes to the frequency and content of future articles, much will depend on 'chance' and perhaps on inspiration from Odin!