Tuesday 3 July 2018

Cults: they are all in on it

There is an important lesson to be learned and borne in mind when dealing with cults. This lesson can be applied to other areas too.

The lesson is, they are all in on it!

An example of what I mean comes from a horror film that I saw on TV ages ago. It is a good illustration of the point I want to make:

Some campers witnessed a sinister satanic ceremony in the woods late one night - people dancing round a bonfire, maybe a sacrifice, that sort of thing. They reported it to the local authorities - sheriff, police, the church - and were told that it would be looked into and taken care of.

Nothing was done, because, as the campers found to their increasing horror, they were all in on it. It was no good reporting people to authority figures, because everyone in the neighbourhood was a member of a satanic cult!

Not only that, it was dangerous to let them know that their activities had been discovered. Behaving like a good citizen resulted in retaliation.

Common goals
We may naïvely think that reporting bad behaviour to someone’s colleagues or senior manager or whatever will have good results, but if a cult or group of people with the same agenda is involved, nothing will be done.

I am involved in something like this at the moment. My neighbours and I sent a formal letter of complaint about someone we are being forced to interact with to the very senior bureaucrat who is in overall charge of the operation. Some of my neighbours actually expected our letter to be taken seriously; I knew better.

We got a patronising, dismissive response. Of course we did. 

These people are not interested in justice and establishing the truth. They don’t care about the bad effects they are having on us. They probably condoned or even encouraged the bad behaviour. These people are all working together towards the same goal.

We supplied evidence to support our claims, but it was ignored or explained away. Not only that, but the accused man made some counter-claims against one of us in revenge from being reported. They were all lies of course.

We let them know that we are on to them, and we are paying for it.

We have responded, but I doubt whether much will come of it. 

It was much the same when I was dealing with some cult members. As I found out the hard way, it was useless to report the bad behaviour of some to any of the others and expect them to do something about it. I was either ignored or attacked. They were all in on it.

Avoiding disappointment
Knowing about this may help to prevent much frustration and disappointment. It will stop people from expecting much in the way of results.

I remember a time when I blamed myself for not being able to get through to people. I thought that I had not explained myself well enough. I later realised that I was up against a wall; the lack of understanding was deliberate on their part.

So if there are no satisfactory results after reporting or complaining about something, it will not be because the case was not made well but because they are all in on it.