Tuesday 31 July 2018

The importance of self-protection

I have recently been reminded of minor incidents in my life that are ideal for further illustration of a very important point: people who can sense unseen influences need to take good care of themselves and avoid getting overloaded.

The good inner state
I was on a bus one morning. As it drew near to my stop, I got up and started to walk down the narrow aisle. A young man who immediately made me feel uncomfortable suddenly put a bag down in front of me, blocking my path. I sensed that a few people had moved in behind me, guessed why, and immediately moved my backpack round to the front so that no one could take anything.

The man smiled ruefully and moved his bag out of my way. I turned round; I did not like the look of the people standing very close to me. The area is not good; there are services that attract many people who are best avoided.

I was pleased with myself for immediately seeing the risk and taking appropriate action. I realised that the outcome could have been very different if my inner state had not been so good at the time.

I had had a good night’s sleep and a good breakfast. I was looking forward to doing some interesting work on a database: I enjoy bringing order out of chaos. I was looking forward to seeing a very good film on TV that evening.

I was living quite comfortably in the real world that day, and had some spare capacity for dealing with the unexpected.

The bad inner state
On another occasion, I had a successful shopping trip in an area I like very much. There is an open-air market and other attractions, and I got a lot of stuff. I should have quit the game while I was ahead and gone home, but I decided on impulse to take a long, scenic bus ride into Kent. This 'good idea' turned out to be a very big mistake; it resulted in a small-scale nightmare scenario.



The bus journey ended at the main shopping area. I found that it was very crowded, and although I had had very little to eat or drink that day and felt in great need of some tea, I could not face going in anywhere. I had no energy or inclination to explore either: I felt overwhelmed and at the end of my resources; I just wanted to go home.

On the journey back, I noticed a small suburban railway station and decided to take a train as it would get me home much faster.

The bus stopped at what I assumed was the back, the wrong side, of the station, so I dragged my heavy shopping up several flights of steps, across the footbridge over the railway lines and down to the other side, only to find that I was on the platform for trains coming away from London! I went back over the bridge and then I noticed a narrow gap leading onto the platform for London trains. It was close to the bus stop where I got off. 

I was angry with myself for getting the wrong idea and not immediately seeing the platform entrance. Maybe inner demons were responsible. They wait for opportunities when we are depleted and distracted.

I was exhausted when I got home, so I decided to go to sleep early. The universe had other ideas: I closed down my laptop, only to get a message about an important update. It said ominously, "This might take some time."

It kept saying, "Please wait" - just like the machines on another bad day! I couldn't leave it alone because it kept restarting and needing answers to questions. It didn't finish until after 23:00!

Of all the days to do a major update, it had to be that one! I have never known an update to take so long before or since.

Extra precautions
Theft is very common. I have noticed many people wearing their backpacks in front and hugging them to keep their belongings safe. This is a normal precaution.

Some of us need to take extra precautions against other kinds of problems.  In particular, it is vitally important to avoid reaching the end of our resources when far from home.

As I have mentioned in other articles, distress signals can attract predators and a bad inner state can result in bad decisions and cause bad experiences.

I have seen sightseers in Paris who had been travelling all night and had huge backpacks yet were alert and full of energy, taking an intelligent interest in everything they saw. This is impossible for many of us and we should not try to do something just because others are doing it.

Our first priority should be to protect ourselves. 

I had several hours of this at the end of a bad day: