Wednesday 28 June 2023

Defence Against the Dark Arts Part XXV: Rupert Bear

I discovered Rupert Bear and his friends at a very early age.

I loved the magical artwork, the colourful characters and the exotic locations.

I preferred the pictures to the narrative, but the stories were still very interesting. I didn't see anything wrong at the time, but some of the early text and pictures are now unacceptable because of the racial stereotyping.

There is a lot of information about Rupert and his creators online, and there are many images from the books and comic strips too. I will just include a few of my favourite characters and pictures here.

This is the Wise Old Goat:

I particularly like the Gooseberry Fool:


This weird twiggy creature is Ragetty the woodland troll:


A beautiful sea scene:


A beautiful snow scene:

I owned a few of the annuals with their beautiful covers and endpapers; I wish that I had kept these ones:


It is good to know that Rupert is still going strong and has many fans both old and new.

The 2021 Rupert annual celebrates his 2020 centenary with a birthday cake: