Saturday 2 December 2023

Defence Against the Dark Arts Part XXVII: The artwork of Frank Kelly Freas

Frank Kelly Freas (1922 – 2005) was an award-winning American science fiction and fantasy artist. He was active for more than 50 years, during which time he produced many illustrations for books and magazines and their covers. 

He was mentioned in an article about two amusing short stories, and one of his magazine covers was featured on here for Halloween

I like some of his pictures so much that I would rather own them than many of the works by the great masters! 

I like so many of them that it was very difficult to decide which ones to select for this article. I have chosen a representative sample that includes some of my favourite images.

I have a copy of one of Kelly Freas's artwork books; it has a foreword by Isaac Asimov, it contains many of his best works, and it has a very well-known picture on the cover:

This image is unforgettable:


The tails on the dressmaker's customers make this picture especially memorable:

I really like the colours in this one:

From the beautiful to the bizarre:

This one is eerie:

I always feel sorry for this shipwrecked blue man:

An example of Kelly Freas's black-and-white artwork:


Kelly Freas was the cover artist for Mad Magazine for a few years.

This is just one of his many depictions of Alfred E. Neuman, whose motto was “What, me worry?”:

There are many more images of Kelly Freas's paintings and drawings and a lot of background information about him and his work online. This biographical article is just one of many sources:

https://www.pulpartists.com/Freas.html

Frank Kelly Freas on his 82nd birthday: