Monday 24 June 2019

L. M. Montgomery and the compulsion to read and write

I have found some more significant quotations from Lucy Maud Montgomery. What she has to say about reading and writing, both as herself and through her characters, is of particular interest. She could be speaking for many people of her kind.

Compulsive reading
 I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.” 

-From L.M. Montgomery’s personal journals 1899

We have sent for a lot of new books for our Literary Society library here and when they come I’m simply going on a spree. I shall read all night and all day. I’m a book-drunkard, sad to say, and though I earnestly try to curb my appetite for reading I never met with much success.”

-From L.M. Montgomery’s letter of March 1905

Me too. All my life I have been unable to resist this temptation.

Book addict’ or ‘reading addict’ is another way of putting it, although there is nothing of the need to take more and more to achieve less and less.


I doubt if I shall ever have time to read the book again -- there are too many new ones coming out all the time which I want to read. Yet an old book has something for me which no new book can ever have -- for at every reading the memories and atmosphere of other readings come back and I am reading old years as well as an old book.”

-From The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929

This is all spot on.

Not only are there not enough hours in the day to do all the reading some of us would like, there are not enough years in our lives. We are even more spoiled for choice now than L. M. Montgomery was then.

Reading a new book is indeed a very different experience from renewing acquaintance with an old friend. I too return again and again to some of my favourites and I too become immersed in memories, inner states and atmospheres from the past.

Compulsive writing
If L. M. Montgomery had not been such a voracious reader, she might never have written so much and she might not have expressed herself so well. When it comes to writing, she is surely speaking for herself here:

 “’Tell me this--if you knew you would be poor as a church mouse all your life--if you knew you'd never have a line published--would you still go on writing--would you?'

'Of course I would,' said Emily disdainfully. 'Why, I have to write--I can't help it at times--I've just got to.’”

-From Emily of New Moon

For some people, reading and writing are as essential to life as food and water and as normal and natural as breathing. Just as some people need to read, some people can’t not write. This applies even if they are doing it merely for their own benefit.

Many authors wrote huge numbers of letters. They also kept journals that were not intended to be seen by anyone else, never mind being published for money. They just wanted to express themselves and create a true record of their thoughts, feelings and lives.

In the world of today, anonymous blogs can be used for this purpose.