Saturday 15 June 2019

Some afterthoughts about August Strindberg’s occult battles

I have had a few afterthoughts about the previously mentioned occult battles involving August Strindberg and his ‘friends’.

As described in the second article in the secret friend series, the theosophist made many threats when Strindberg refused to obey orders. In return, Strindberg threatened to use occult powers of his own. He warned his friend that what happened to someone who had tried to interfere with Strindberg’s destiny back in Sweden some years earlier could happen to him too.

Strindberg gives some details of his earlier encounter with this other man who, just as the secret friend would later do, tried to impose his will on Strindberg from a position of superiority.

I can see some common elements in his dealings with these two men. Some of my comments on Strindberg’s relationships with his mystery man and other people are relevant here too.

First approaches and negative responses
It was the other man who made the first move. Strindberg tells us:

I received a letter from a friend of my youth inviting me and my children to stop with him for a year, he made no mention of my wife. This letter, with its affected style, its corrections and omissions, seemed to betray some hesitation on the part of the writer in the choice of the reasons which he alleged for his invitation. As I suspected some trap, I declined the offer in a few non-committal polite phrases.”

This reminds me of what happened years later when Strindberg received the first letter from his secret friend. He took offence at its tone and sent a discouraging reply.


Second thoughts and revised decisions
Strindberg later had second thoughts.  He ignored the warning signals, overcame his fear of a trap and decided to accept the invitation:

Two years later, after my first divorce, I went to him of my own accord and found him living on a little island off the coast of the Baltic Sea as an inspector of customs. His reception of me was friendly, but his whole manner embarrassed and equivocal, and our conversation was more like a police examination.

I wonder whether Strindberg took the man up on his offer because he was in dire straits at the time, catching at straws and desperate for someone to help him. If so, he was doomed to disappointment.

He was also to have second thoughts in the case of his secret friend. 

I have learned recently that, despite the impression he gives in Inferno, it was Strindberg who, despite his earlier reservations, made the first move to re-open the correspondence after a gap of four years. The second letter he mentions receiving from his secret friend was sent in response to a second letter from Strindberg.

Perhaps he was greatly in need of help on that occasion too.

So in both cases an initial rejection on Strindberg’s side was followed by his changing his mind and reaching out to the other party, and in both cases it ended in disaster.

A time of torment and a confession
Maybe both Strindberg and the friend of his youth had ulterior motives and a hidden agenda. If Strindberg hoped to gain something from this visit, his expectations backfired. So perhaps did those of his host, who gave Strindberg a very hard time:

Quite unscrupulous in his choice of means, he tormented me for a week long, poisoned my mind with slanders and stories invented to suit every occasion, but did it so clumsily that I was more and more convinced that he wished to have me incarcerated as a person of unsound mind.

Just as happened years later with the secret friend, Strindberg did not assert himself or state his position in the normal way. He reacted with anger deep down inside, but made no overt threats in this occasion. He kept a surface calm:

I offered no special resistance, and left it to my good fortune to liberate me at the right time.

My apparent submission won my executioner's favour, and there alone, in the midst of the sea, hated by his neighbours and subordinates, he yielded to his need to confide in someone. He told me, with incredible frankness for a man of fifty, that his sister during the past winter had gone out of her mind, and in a fit of frenzy had destroyed all her savings. The next morning he told me, further, that his brother was in a lunatic asylum on the mainland.

I asked myself, ‘Is that why he wants to see me confined in one, in order to avenge himself on fate?’”

This is just speculation, but I wonder whether any of these disasters could be connected to Strindberg’s reaction to the original letter from this friend.

The terrible revenge
Strindberg escaped, but more horrors were to come. His friend sent him a desperate letter:

After he had thus related to me his misfortunes, I won his complete confidence, so that I was able to leave the island, and hire a house on a neighbouring one, where my children joined me. Four weeks later a letter summoned me to my friend, whom I found quite broken down because his brother in a fit of mania had shattered his skull.

I comforted my executioner, and his wife whispered to me with tears that she had long feared lest the same fate should overtake her husband. A year later the newspapers announced that my friend's eldest brother had taken his life under circumstances which seemed to indicate that he was out of his mind. Thus three distinct blows descended on the head of this man who had wished to play with lightning.”

Executioner’ again? That’s a bit strong!

I wonder whether any of these subsequent disasters was connected to Strindberg’s deep down reaction of fear and anger when he was threatened and tormented during his visit.

Strindberg himself suggests that his executioner brought the terrible misfortunes on himself by treating Strindberg badly. I detect a ‘serves him right, he deserves all he got for attacking me’ attitude here.

Did Strindberg’s magic miss its mark?
What strikes me now is that although the friend of his youth suffered greatly, his innocent family were the worst hit.  

Could an occult attack have missed the mark the way it did when Strindberg tried to make his small daughter ill by the use of black magic? The little girl was unharmed, but his older children from a previous marriage became ill and had to go into hospital. Then there were all the dead astronomers. Were they collateral damage in the occult feud with the secret friend?

Who started it and why?
I wonder what happened between Strindberg and the friend of his youth when they were both very young. Did either of them have some grudges to pay off? Were they involved with the occult at the time?

Strindberg does say this:

This man, whose self-love I had wounded in one of my novels, in spite of his display of sympathy, was not really my well-wisher.“

I wonder what gave him that idea!

So this man could well have had a grudge against Strindberg, but surely there is more to the battle than just being belittled in a novel and taking revenge for it.

Final speculation and afterthoughts
Strindberg habitually ignored warning signals, much to his detriment. He was very obviously not the sort of person who learns from experience, nor did he settle disputes in the normal manner. He might never have got involved with the secret friend if he had, or at least this relationship might have turned out better. The article that suggests that having unfinished business with someone will bring an even worse person into our lives is relevant here.

The secret friend and the friend from his youth may have made the first moves, but who knows what Strindberg was transmitting that they were picking up and responding to. Conversely, Strindberg may have been the one to resume the correspondence but maybe he was being influenced remotely. There are many examples of thoughts being picked up and acted on in this blog.

All three men were unstable and affected by unseen influences. They were all victims and all victimisers.

August Strindberg as a young man of 25: