Friday 28 June 2019

Some miscellaneous material from Strindberg’s Inferno

This is yet another article in the series inspired by Colin Wilson’s references in The Occult to Swedish playwright August Strindberg’s autobiographical novel Inferno.

Included here are some miscellaneous incidents and details of yet another ‘friendship’ that ended badly. The material speaks for itself; it is all typical of Strindberg and his life; it is all typical of things that happen to people who use occult instead of natural methods to go through life and get what they want. 

The meal that backfired
This is a very small incident, but it is significant in terms of what happens to people who use psychological black magic.

Strindberg’s mother-in-law cooked what she said was his favourite dish; not only was it not at the top of his list, it was something he disliked more than anything else. He had to force himself to eat the revolting dish.

He got the exact opposite of what he expected.

The worst towns in Sweden
Strindberg said this:

There are ninety towns in Sweden, and the powers have condemned me to go to the one which I most dislike.” 

The powers? He blamed ‘occultists and their secret powers’ for his many misfortunes when he himself was often the cause.

He moved on to another Swedish town:

“...I have made personal enemies here, and have contracted debts under circumstances which set my character in a dubious light... I have also here relations who ignore me, and friends who have left me to become my enemies. In a word, it is the worst place I could have chosen for a quiet residence; it is hell...”

So he ended up in the exact opposite of the peaceful refuge he wanted, with more former friends who had become his enemies and more debts. Same old same old...


Strindberg and his ‘friend’ the doctor
I have already reproduced in detail some of Strindberg’s accounts of his relationships. What he says about his encounters with a doctor ‘friend’ he was staying with in Sweden is mostly more of the same.

I can’t face going through the whole story in detail as I did with the others, and anyway it is all very predictable. Yet again we have Groundhog Day, a stuck record and the repetition compulsion syndrome!

A few extracts will give the picture:

The doctor seems to me to be struggling with conflicting emotions. At one time he seems prejudiced against me, looks at me contemptuously, and treats me with humiliating rudeness; at another he seems himself unhappy, and soothes and comforts me as though I were a sick child. But then, again, it seems to give him pleasure to be able to trample under his feet a man of worth for whom he has formerly had a high regard. Then he lectures me like a pitiless tormentor. I am to work, but not to give way to exaggerated ambition; I am to fulfil my duties to my fatherland and family”.

In other words, this is yet another ‘friend’ who tries to impose his will on Strindberg from a position of superiority!

After this adventure, open hostility breaks out between my friend and me. He gives me to understand that I am an idler, and that my presence is superfluous. To this I rejoin that I must wait for the arrival of important letters, but that I am ready at any time to go to an hotel... He now plays the rôle of the injured party. As a matter of fact, I cannot leave for want of money.”

So they fall out, and Strindberg is penniless yet again. What a surprise! Maybe the doctor sensed that he was being used and exploited. Maybe Strindberg brought out the worst in him.

Strindberg has an essay published in a reputable French publication, and this makes things even worse:

I show the article to the doctor, who betrays his annoyance, since he cannot deny the fact. Then I say to myself, ‘How can that man be my friend, who is vexed at my success?’"

How can anyone keep on making the same mistakes about people? Strindberg previously had to conceal his success from his mystery man artist ‘friend’.

Strindberg the invisible man
I have mentioned in other articles that people may feel invisible after being in the company of a witch, an energy vampire or someone who practises psychological black magic. Something, bad energy or a smokescreen perhaps, stops other people from seeing them. The victims may feel like ghosts in the world.

According to Colin Wilson, this happened to Strindberg, although he caused his own lack of visibility by his bad action. His friends who were looking for him in the street didn’t even see him until he went up and spoke to and touched them. He literally had to seize their attention.

I had barely heard of Strindberg and would probably never have investigated Inferno with its account of his misfortunes if I hadn’t seen Colin Wilson’s intriguing references.

I had no idea that I would find so much to write about, and there is still some more to come.

Portrait of August Strindberg by the Norwegian artist Christian Krohg - whose wife Strindberg quarrelled with: